Wednesday, 8 February 2012

Make a wooden flower. Get woodworking Week

As promised a video on making wooden flowers with a knife. This is an easy project and is great fun for all the family. The best thing is that you only need a knife, and the wood is easily found from any hedgerow. Any knife will do as long as it has a reasonable edge on it.

I could have included a lot more but not only had my back seized in spasm, but it was also one of the coldest days of the year, hence the shaky hands. Thanks to Dan for doing the camera work.

Another video but with Dale making flowers with a drawknife. Unless I am making small flowers like these I work on a shave horse with a drawknife. The Gypsies used only a knife, usually held against the knee and the stick was pulled against the knife. I have tried this and found it very difficult. I have met people who make flowers just using a penknife and make beautiful and large flowers.

Scroll down to the bottom of this post to see how Sue makes her flowers.

A note about cheap stuff. I was given the Stanley knife blades and really I should just throw them away. Not only are they very bendy and break if to much pressure is applied but the edge blunts and rolls very quickly. They are potentially dangerous. As I have said before why do people go to all that trouble to make landfill waste, and why on earth do we buy it. Buy quality and it will last, for example the Mora knives I sell are not only very good value for money but very good quality as well.It is not necessary to spend lots on tools especially if you do a bit of research.