Sunday 31 May 2009

More knives

I have just bought a few knife blanks from a firm in Germany to bulk up an order of food grade cold pressed linseed oil.











I have now made a handle from a small birch burl and the sheath is made from ash plank off-cuts























This is a Brusletto blade from Norway in a gorgeous brown burr oak handle. I am yet to make a sheath for it and I think I will make the back of the sheath longer.
I have posted these pictures on the British Blades forum and have found out that I have made and fitted the handles in the wrong way. These Scandinavian blades all have long tangs, so you drill a long hole into the wooden handle and glue the tang in. I made the handles in two halves hollowing out the space for the tang and gluing together. Oh well, live and learn.

The stone above is a natural mineral, cut from a layer of sedimentary sandstone in the Slovakian Mala Fatra Mountains which are known for their fine, uniform grit and high resistance to wear. A great stone for finishing and polishing, used with water and at a very very good price of 9.90 Euro.
The web site I got these from is http://www.dick.biz/dick/page/homepage/detail.jsf














I made this last year using a Frosts blade I bought for £20, and used yew scales with brass rod to hold it together with. The textile sheath has a wood sheath inside it so the knife will not cut the stitching. This textile is not leather but plastic, left over from a time when I used it to make the flexible spine for wooden books. It is the same stuff they use for vegan shoes and is very strong, but does not have the same properties as leather, of course. I like this knife very much and it is one of my favourites.

1 comment:

  1. Sean: Nice knives! I, too, have a Brusletto blade that I am going to mount in a maple handle -- by using two handle scales. I know about the fact that Scandahoovian blades are "supposed" to be mounted by drilling "a" hole in a monolithic piece of wood. Big deal! I'll mount it the way I want to!

    BTW, you need to show us how you do your wooden sheaths!

    Bob

    ReplyDelete


Sorry, because of the huge amount of dubious people leaving spam comments for their useless stuff, I unfortunately have to bring back word verification.